Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Marinara Sauce

Upon doing a bit of research, I found that all marinara sauce is spaghetti sauce, but not all spaghetti sauce is marinara sauce. Generally marinara sauces are designed to be more complex that spaghetti sauce, have chunkier tomatoes and no meat. For the most part whenever I am approaching a new recipe, I generally search the internet for 3 top rated recipes that have differences in the main or "secret" ingredient, then I form my own from that. Here is what I have come up with so far, mind you when I was doing the recipe I had made some changes and forgot to write them down.

Marinara Sauce
2 (14.5 oz) cans Tomatoes (Better to use fresh 14 Roma Tomatoes)
1 (6 oz) can Tomato Paste
4 tbsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley
1 Clove Minced Garlic (1 tsp)
2 tsp. Italian Seasonings
1 tsp. Marjoram 
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
6 tbsp. Olive Oil
1/3 c. Finely Diced Onions
1/2 c. White Wine (the trick to selecting a cooking wine, is to choose something you would like to drink as well)

Since I prefer sweet wines, I looked for a Zinfandel or Riesling.  I found a rather cheap wine that was actually really good (Funf #5 under $10 for the bottle)

Directions:
Put oil in pan with spices. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in tomatoes (If using fresh tomatoes, slice and remove seeds and cut into 1/3 in" chunks)
Let simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
Add in 1/2 c. of wine and continue to let simmer.
Do taste tests throughout and spice accordingly.

Marinara Sauce simmering

No comments:

Post a Comment